You get a UTR number if you are registered for Self Assessment, meaning you need to submit a Personal Tax Return by 31 January each year. You can submit your return online meaning you need to set up an HMRC user ID and password. You can do this here.


I built this site to help self employed business owners grow profitable businesses by making the intimidating aspects of business and tax easy to understand with ‘How to’ Articles, Guides and Courses. Take a look around and you'll find all essential information you need to know to go self employed, launch a new venture and run a profitable business.