How to Register for Self Employment


How to Register for Self Employment if you have NOT Submitted a Personal Tax Return Previously

Registering for Self Employment is a fairly straightforward process and you can do it online yourself here.

The process can take up to 7 -10 days however and requires an activation code being posted to you, so it is advisable that you register as soon as possible so you are ready in time to submit your first personal tax return by 31 January each year and avoid penalties.

The process involves setting you up with an online account with HMRC which you will log into to submit your tax return, so keep hold of your login details as well as issuing you with a UTR (‘Unique Tax Payers Reference’), another important piece of information that you must keep safe. You will be asked questions such as your full name, address, NI number and details of your new business.

What is Class 2 National Insurance?

What is Class 4 national insurance?

How to Register for Self Employment if you have HAVE Submitted a Personal Tax Return Previously

If you already have an account with HMRC (Government Gateway Account) and submitted a tax return previously, for example to declare rental income but have now chosen to become self employed or a sole trader then you need to complete an online form called a CWF1.  Again you can do this online here and you will need to provide information about your self employment and you’ll need your UTR number too

Related: A Guide to Allowable Business Expenses

Anita is a Chartered Accountant, turned blogger and creator of the ever popular free Go Self Employed Email Mini Course, which has been completed by hundreds of attendees all over the UK. Using her 10 years experience in accounting, tax and operations for Small Businesses, Anita is on a mission to make finance simple for the self employed, so they can stop stressing about tax & finances and focus on building profitable businesses which will give them the lifestyle they dream of.