should the benefits office give me a p45

Your Benefits Office will issue you a P45 if you were previously claiming Job Seekers Allowance but have now found a job.  

Your new Employer will ask for your P45 as contains your personal details, details of your earnings and tax code.  They will need these details so they will deduct the correct amount of tax each time they pay you.

If you have not received your P45 contact your Benefits Office to request it.


Anita is a Chartered Accountant, turned blogger and creator of the ever popular free Go Self Employed Email Mini Course, which has been completed by hundreds of attendees all over the UK. Using her 10 years experience in accounting, tax and operations for Small Businesses, Anita is on a mission to make finance simple for the self employed, so they can stop stressing about tax & finances and focus on building profitable businesses which will give them the lifestyle they dream of.